Ocsober is a fundraising initiative that encourages people to give up alcohol for the month of October.
The money raised in the Hunter goes to Hunter Life Education, the organisation behind the iconic educational mascot, Healthy Harold. For 30 years, the loveable giraffe has been teaching local children how to enjoy a healthy lifestyle by resisting participation in drug and alcohol abuse. This year, Ocsober aims to raise $30,000 to help Hunter Life Educationand Healthy Harold go into even more schools across our region.
Ocsober is also an important opportunity to highlight the growing danger of binge drinking and alcohol abuse, particularly among young Australians. Participants can also enjoy other potential benefits from a month off alcohol including feeling healthier and fitter, weight loss and the chance to enjoy Sunday mornings again!
If that isn’t enough there are plenty of other reasons why participating in Ocsober and supporting Healthy Harold and Hunter Life Education is worthwhile:
- Every 24 minutes an Australian dies through either legal or illegal drugs
- Alcohol related harm is responsible for 3,200 deaths annually and 81,000 people are hospitalised annually due to excessive alcohol consumption
- Teenagers who start drinking before age 15 are five times more likely to become dependent on alcohol than those who don’t start until they are 21
- Nearly 50% of 16-17 year old drinkers say they intend to get drunk most times/ every time they drank alcohol
- More than 20% of 14 – 19 year olds consume alcohol on a weekly basis
- Alcohol is involved in 13% of all deaths among 14–17-year-old Australians.
- One Australian teenager dies and more than 60 are hospitalised each week from alcohol-related harms.
- Drinking contributes to the three leading causes of death among adolescents – unintentional injuries, homicide and suicide
Signing up is an easy way to help do something about it. Luckily, for those with a special occasion during October, leave passes can be bought to get the night off!
How to sign up for Ocsober?
- Visit the Ocsober web site (www.ocsober.com.au) to sign up for Ocsober.
- Create a team and invite friends, family, clients and colleagues to support you by joining
- Share your page’s link via email and social media to encourage friends, family, clients and colleagues to sponsor you and your team
For more information and fantastic fundraising tools contact Jenny:
Phone 02 4958 6766